What will be the hot trends and the major changes in analytics in the year ahead? Glenn Wegryn, the president of the INFORMS Analytics Section and the principal at Analytic Impact reveals his top predictions for the year ahead. Listen to his podcast here. Do you agree? Join the discussion on INFORMS Connect and share your views today. Remember to listen to the podcast at https://www.informs.org/podcast.
Management Science - New Issue
- "The Distinct Effects of Information Technology and Communication Technology on Firm Organization"
- "Yield Optimization of Display Advertising with Ad Exchange"
- "What Death Can Tell: Are Executives Paid for Their Contributions to Firm Value?"
Operations Research - New Issue
Read the 16 new articles in the November-December 2014 issue of Operations Research. Read "In this Issue" which provides a brief overview of all papers in the current issue. Members can subscribe to the 2015 INFORMS PubsOnLine Suite for only $104 to access all 14 journals back to volume 1, issue 1.
- "OR Forum - Design of Risk Weights"
- "Nash Codes for Noisy Channels"
"Simulating the Dynamic Escape Process in Large Public Places"
Strategy Science - New Dues Journal Selection
Select as your 2015 dues journal or ask your institution to subscribe to Strategy Science, our newest journal publishing in 2015. Strategy Science seeks to publish outstanding research directed to the challenges of strategic management in both business and non-business organizations. The journal is also open to a wide variety of underlying disciplinary approaches including economics, operations research, political science, psychology, and sociology.
INFORMS PubsOnLine - All 14 Journals at Your Institution
All 2015 Institutional PubsOnLine Suite subscribers will receive access to the most recent three years of the series TutORials in Operations Research and the journal Strategy Science at no additional cost. Recommend that your library subscribe to the INFORMS 2015 PubsOnLine Suite to save over $1,700 and get even more content in 2015.
Call for Papers - Interfaces
Interfaces Special Issue: Operations Research Applications in the Energy Industry
Operations research can play an important role in the generation, distribution, and consumption of energy. Accordingly, Interfaces is planning a special issue focusing on applications of operations research techniques in the energy industry. Read the Call for Papers. Submission due: July 1, 2015.
Calls for Papers - Service Science
Service Science Special Issue:
Multi-actor Value Creation in Service Innovation
Collaborative value creation builds on orchestrated social action among the different stakeholders involved. In service innovation, joint value creation calls for specific network leadership and resource integration capabilities, because advanced service entails complex configurations of people, technologies, organizations, and shared information. Hence, mutually beneficial outcomes may be difficult to achieve within such configurations through traditional approaches to innovation. Read the Call for Papers. Submissions due: February 15, 2015.
Service Science Special Issue: In Search of a New Alignment in Service Research
The editors of two of the top journals in the service area, one from INFORMS' service science community
and one from IEEE's services computing community; invite you to break out of your disciplinary comfort zone. Parallel special issues have been commissioned to intentionally challenge and disrupt the status quo. This dual special issue is intended to reconcile existing multipronged orientations and approaches to service research. Read the Call for Papers. Submissions due: March 1, 2015.
Service Science Special Issue: Co-Creating the Customer Service Experience with High Tech and High Touch
In today's highly competitive environment, there is a growing need to provide customers with a truly memorable experience to increase both customer satisfaction and customer loyalty. Customer experience has been operationalized in different ways, such as "memorable events" (Pine and Gilmore 1999) or clues that customers can see, smell, taste, hear, or perceive while interacting with service systems (Berry and Carbone 2007). Today, a customer's experience resulting from the interaction with a service provider requires a combination of high tech and high touch, depending on the type of service and therefore is generally heterogeneous. Read the Call for Papers. Submissions due: October 15, 2015.
As an INFORMS member, you are welcome to submit items about major career news that would interest your fellow INFORMS members. INFORMS welcomes news about:
- Major appointments, such as appointments to lead departments, schools, or journals
- Major awards that highlight you at the top of your profession
- Book announcements
- Announcements should be brief, preferably 2-3 sentences, with a headline, statement of the news, and link to lengthier story, if available
- Items will be placed on a space-available basis in appropriate INFORMS media such as eNews, INFORMS Connect, and OR/MS Today (at the discretion of the editors)
- Send your news to INFORMS Communications Director Barry List at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Include "eNews submission" in the subject.
- INFORMS Podcasts Back on iTunes!
The Military, Defense, and Security Applications (MDSA) track for the joint Canadian Operational Research Society (CORS)/INFORMS Conference solicits all those interested in chairing sessions and/or presenting papers for this cluster. The conference will be held in Montréal, June 14-17, 2015 - see the conference Web page. This venue offers a great opportunity to both present your work and learn about the latest developments in all fields of O.R., and to network with other Canadian, American, and international operations researchers and analytics partners. Please contact as soon as possible either U.S. co-chair, Greg Parlier (email@example.com), or Canadian co-chair, Rene Seguin (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you are interested in participating in the MDSA track. The deadline for submissions is January 16, 2015.
- To sign in, use your username and password that you use for INFORMS Self Service Center. Can't remember it? Click the "Forgot your username or password?" link under the login fields.
- Once you have signed in, you will be returned to the home page of INFORMS Connect.
- In the upper-right hand corner of the page, there will either be your profile picture or a gray silhouette next to an arrow. Click on the arrow.
- When the box appears, click on the "Profile" button, this will take you to your profile page. This section is populated with the information you have provided in our membership database.
- There are four tabs underneath your name. Click on the last one "My Account" and select "Subscriptions" from the drop down menu.
- The resulting page will show you in which Communities you are a paid member, or a Committee on which you volunteer. Each time an item is posted in that Communities discussion, you will be notified in one of three ways. For each group, you may make the following selections: "Real Time" means you will receive an email for every posting. "Daily Digest" will create one email that contains all of the previous day's postings. "No email" means exactly that. You will not receive notification when something new is posted in that group, but you are free to see the content online at any time.
- You may set different preferences for each group in which you participate.
Make sure to scroll to the bottom of the page and click the blue "Save" button, for INFORMS Connect to save your preferences.
The Daniel H. Wagner Prize for Excellence in Operations Research Practice emphasizes the quality and coherence of analysis used in practice. Dr. Wagner strove for strong mathematics applied to practical problems, supported by clear and intelligible writing. This prize recognizes those principles by emphasizing good writing, strong analytical content, and verifiable practice successes.
First Place: "Identifying Risks and Mitigating Disruptions in the Automotive Supply Chain," presented by David Simchi-Levi, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, William Schmidt, Cornell University, Yehua Wei, Duke University, Oleg Gusikhin, Don Zhang, Yao Ge, Keith Combs, Michael Sanders, Ford Motor Company, and Peter Y. Zhang, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
"Intel Project Portfolio Planning at Intel Corporation," presented by Siddhartha Sampath and Karl Kempf, Intel Corporation
"Sabre: Airline Crew Augmentation, Decades of Improvements from Sabre," presented by Shahram Shahinpour, Yogesh Dashora, and Tina Shaw, Sabre Holdings
"CDC and Georgia Tech: Vaccine Prioritization for Effective Pandemic Response," presented by Eva Lee, Georgia Institute of Technology
- "P&G and SAS: Statistical and Optimization Techniques for Laundry Portfolio Optimization at P&G," presented by Kevin Norwood, Procter & Gamble, Ivan Oliveira, SAS, Natalie Esquejo, Kevin Miller, Procter & Gamble, Rob Pratt, and Ming Zhao, SAS
We are happy to note that the CAP® question bank now has copyright protection through the Library of Congress. Before you run down to pull a copy of the questions, be assured there is a secure copyright provision for item banks such that a deposit of the contents is not necessary. You will, however, see a copy of the CAP® Study Guide and the Candidate Handbook as soon as they are accessioned; both of these also have copyright protection.
Although CAP® is available through a computer-based testing format, we continue to host exams at selected sites, especially at the INFORMS conferences such as the upcoming 2015 INFORMS Conference on Business Analytics & Operations Research in Huntington Beach, CA, on April 12-14, 2015.
As always, applications remain open for the ongoing computer based examinations. Put the test on your schedule and put CAP® after your name. For more information, see www.informs.org/certification.
December 3, 2014 - Overview and Introduction presented by Scott Nestler, CAP® and Chair, Analytics Certification Board and Matt Windham, CAP®, Director, Analytics at NTEL-X
December 17, 2014 - Domains 1 (Business Problem Framing) and 2 (Analytics Problem Framing)
presented by Frank Stein, CAP®, Director, Analytics Solutions Center, IBM's Washington Office
January 7, 2015 - Domain 3 (Data) presented by Robert Bordley, Booz Allen Hamilton
January 21, 2015 - Domain 4 (Methodology (Approach) Selection)
February 4, 2015 - Domains 5 (Model Building), 6 (Deployment), and 7 (Model Lifecycle Management)
At this time of year, it seems normal to reflect on what you've done over the past year; the CAP® program is no different. In this, the second year of the program, we've done a few notable things (like the aforementioned copyright and the move to computer-based testing) and we've seen people take note. For instance, CIO Magazine listed CAP® as one of the 11 big data certifications that will pay off. CAP® is now listed on the U.S Department of Labor CareerOneStop site.
During the recent CAP® reception, held during the INFORMS Annual Meeting in San Francisco, we started a list of those companies that use CAP® as part of their internal processes, have "CAP® preferred" or "CAP®required" in job postings. Currently, we can point to Booz Allen Hamilton, GM, FedEx, Macy's, Quintiles, and Ernst & Young.
We've also been tracking participation by firms in the Fortune 100 and are happy to report that almost 20% of those companies have at least ONE CAP® on staff. Have you seen other mentions? Let us know at email@example.com.
offers the largest list of O.R. and analytics jobs in the industry. Here are just a few job listings:
Fraud Data Analyst, Global Investigations - Seattle. This job contributes to Starbucks' success by monitoring, investigating and auditing company systems and data for potential loss.
Communications, Media and Technology, Supply Chain and Sourcing Senior Manager - San Francisco. Join Accenture and help transform leading organizations and communities around the world.
Professor / Associate Professor / Assistant Professor in Maritime Studies/Shipping and Transport Law - Hong Kong. The Hong Kong Polytechnic University offers a full range of degree programs in shipping, maritime, and transport studies, as well as supply chain and operations management.
This issue of OR/MS Today is packed with content from the 2014 Annual Meeting, including a Q&A with INFORMS President-Elect L. Robin Keller, a recap of all the major awards handed out by INFORMS, and a photo essay that captures a few of the many memorable scenes from the massive event. This final 2014 issue of OR/MS Today will be available online early next week. Be sure to renew your membership to maintain uninterrupted service in 2015. Look for the new issue here.