Congratulations again to Michel Balinski, the winner of the 2013 Von Neumann Prize. Balinski, who was unable to attend due to a prior commitment, shares his acceptance remarks here.
The Foresight/SAS forecasting webinar series continues next month with Alec Finney and Martin Joseph's The Forecasting Mantra. If forecasting leaves you with more questions than answers -- How many forecasts do we need? What's the difference between forecasts, budgets and targets? How can we eliminate bias and improve accuracy? -- it's time for some clarity.
"The Forecasting Mantra" is a template that identifies all the elements required to achieve sustained, world-class forecasting and planning excellence. Learn how to:
- Bring together all elements of the forecasting process
- Assess and benchmark your forecasting performance
- Design a sustainable, world-class forecasting function
- Integrate forecasting with key decision-making business processes.
Register today. Can't make the live event? Register anyway to access the recording when it's available!
by Gavin Lawrence
One reads all the worthy spiel in the text books and project management guide books on how risk management is supposed to improve the decision making process for project management. Read More.
Our fourth annual professional career event, Analytics Connect, held at the INFORMS Conference on Business Analytics and Operations Research, March 30 - April 1, 2014, in Boston, has enticing features and benefits for employers and conference attendees.
- Provide recruitment material in a relaxed setting that attracts those hard to find but invaluable casual job seekers
- Participate in our "Analytics Employment Outlook" panel discussion to bring your point of view to this important topic
- Participate in our 2-minute "lightning round" presentation session. Talk about your company and what you have to offer to motivated analytics professionals
- Arrange discreet one-on-one interviews with the best of the best
- Build your resume bank by participating in the "Resume Drop" program
- Enjoy access to over 900 seasoned analytics professionals on site and receive a listing of all attendees post-conference for your own prospecting
Conference attendees may:
- Make connections with colleagues and recruiters at top companies who hire analytics professionals
- Hear about and add your perspective to the general employment outlook for analytics professionals and the specific outlook for participating employers
- Browse recruitment materials at your leisure in a "no-pressure" environment and decide if you'd like to go farther
- Schedule discreet one-on-one interviews when you make a connection that is too good to pass up
- Place your resume in the "Drop Folders" of participating employers as part of a "passive" job search strategy
- Take advantage of post-conference links to participating employer profiles and jobs for making discreet connections after the conference
Employers are welcome to sign up now. Attendees of the conference receive free access to the event.
The deadline to have an ad in the Gala book is February 10. Stand proudly with AIMMS, Institute for Information Industry, Metron, Revenue Analytics, University of Cincinnati Center for Business Analytics, and others by sponsoring the Franz Edelman Gala, the "Academy Awards" celebration of our profession, Monday evening, March 31, 2014, in Boston. Get more sponsorship information here.
If you are an Edelman Laureate or have represented your organization in the Edelman Academy, your presence is requested at the Franz Edelman Awards Gala to be held on March 31, 2014 at the INFORMS Conference on Business Analytics and Operations Research in Boston. We'd like to recognize you! Please RSVP to Gary Bennett, Director of Marketing, at email@example.com.
Recommend that your executives attend our fifth annual Executive Forum at the spring INFORMS Analytics Conference. This special program for senior executives provides a bottom-line understanding of how advanced analytics and O.R. are used to drive better organizational decisions. Click here for more information and to register.
INFORMS Section on Analytics is happy to offer a scholarship program for the INFORMS Conference on Business Analytics and Operations Research. This is a competitive program, supported by SAS® that will recognize one outstanding student who would like to learn more about the practice of analytics at this conference in Boston, March 30 - April 1, 2014, by covering the costs of attending the event and additional networking opportunities. Deadline to apply is midnight, February 17. Click here for more information. And read an interview with last year's scholarship recipient here.
Members who consult full time or part time are invited to add themselves to the Find an Analytics Consultant Database. The database is for members only to add their information but will be promoted widely to the broad analytics community who need your help.
One of our best member benefits is the opportunity to write for our two prestigious and popular magazines. Have a story idea? Put your name out there with articles that provide an insider's look at the OR/MS profession (OR/MS Today) or provide readers with a better understanding of how data, modeling, and mathematical analyses are used to drive effective business decisions and competitive advantage (Analytics).