Welcome to the Summer/Fall 2014 Issue
OR/MS – Big Data & Analytics
In our second thematic issue, we focus on OR/MS in Big Data and Analytics:
- Letter from the Editors
- Interview with Professor Michael J. Franklin about the Role of Operations Research in Big Data and Analytics – Today and Tomorrow!
- Student Chapter Spotlight - The University of Toronto Operations Research Group
- Society Spotlight - Big Data & Society (BD&S)
- Series! OR/MS Across the Globe - This issue will focus on OR in Africa
- Journal Articles of Interest - Topics including LinkedIn skills databases to semantic annotation techniques
- A Summary of Conferences - Big Data and Analytics
- Undergraduate Student Competition - Submit by March 15, 2015!
In the first thematic issue of OR/MS Tomorrow, we featured an interview about the role of OR in healthcare with Professor Dimitris Bertsimas, the Boeing Professor of Operations Research and the co-director of the Operations Research Center at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. In our second feature, Margaret L. Brandeau from the Department of Management Science and Engineering at Stanford University described a five-step path to a successful application of OR in healthcare. We presented an article about several OR activities in South Africa by presenting the conferences and societies organized in this area. We spotlighted INFORMS@USF, the INFORMS student chapter at the University of South Florida and announced the winner of the2013 INFORMS/Organization Science Dissertation Proposal Competition.
In this issue, we feature the “Stochastic Challenge” website and two reprints of articles recently published in INFORMS journals. We spotlight a the University of Massachusetts Amherst INFORMS student chapter, including their “Inaugural Dow Big Data Challenge." We also spotlight the INFORMS Behavioral Operations Section. Last but not least, we include important upcoming conferences and journals with special issues.