Public Programs, Services and Needs Best Paper Competition
2013 Best Paper Award
Call for Submissions
The submission process consists of the following:
- A nomination letter of less than three pages explaining the relevance of the paper to SPPSN’s mission and the paper’s significance to research and/or practice, including an abstract of the paper. (Self-nominations are allowed.) If practical impact is claimed for the research, it is advised to also submit another letter from a relevant practitioner who is preferably not a co-author, mentioning name, title, organizational affiliation and full contact information and attesting to the practical value of the work. Nomination letters are due by May 31, 2013.
- The committee will invite a selection of nominations to submit a full paper. Notifications are anticipated to be sent by July 1, 2013.
- Full drafts of papers are due by August 2, 2013.
Submission requirements are:
- Full papers (by request of committee) should follow the formatting guidelines of an INFORMS print journal, e.g., formatted to one-inch margins on all sides, a font size of at least 11 point, and at least 1.5 line spacing.
- The paper should be no longer than 32 pages long (including paper text, figures and tables) plus references.
- The paper under consideration for this prize shall not have not been published elsewhere.
Purpose of the Award
The INFORMS Section on Public Programs, Services and Needs Best Paper Competition is intended to encourage journal-quality research in all of the disciplines and application areas represented within SPPSN, and to build a tradition of scholarly exchange of knowledge at our research meetings beyond attendance at sessions. Participation is open to all INFORMS members, whether students, academics or practitioners. Each submission must be associated with a presentation at an SPPSN-sponsored or co-sponsored session at the fall national conference. Submissions will be judged by an awards committee consisting of two SPPSN officers and three regular SPPSN members. One first prize of $250, one second prize of $100 and one honorable mention will be awarded at the SPPSN business meeting, to take place at the INFORMS national conference.
School of Industrial/Systems Engineering
Luyi Gui Atalay Atasu Beril Toktay