The mission of the Behavioral Operations Management Section is to provide for a continuing, specialized focus within INFORMS aimed at leading the development of research into behavioral dynamics in operations management modeling, policy prescription and practice. Its intent is to provide mechanisms for the exchange of ideas, experiences and techniques for research growth in this area with the end goal of increasing the practical applicability of operations management.
Behavioral Operations Conference
The 2015 Behavioral Operations Conference took place June 24-26, 2015 at Cornell University in Ithaca, NY. Information can be found on the conference website.
Keynote speakers included:
- Vishal Gaur (Cornell University)
- Robert J. Bloomfield (Cornell University)
The conference will started with a one-day "Young Scholars Workshop" on Wednesday, June 24, 2015, and the main conference was held on Thursday and Friday, June 25-26, 2015.
The 10th annual conference saw record attendance and there were many high quality presentations at both the Young Scholars Workshop and the main conference. Congratulations to the organizers on another great event.
2016 Behavioral Operations Conference
Mark your calendars now for the 11th Annual Behavioral Operations Conference to take place at the University of Wisconsin-Madison from July 14-16th, 2016. More details will be posted as they become available.
2015 Best Working Paper Award Call for Submissions
The goal of this Award is to highlight the best working paper in the area of Behavioral Operations. The award will be given annually at the INFORMS Annual meeting and will recognize papers as follows:
- First place (recognized with a certificate or plaque, and a $500 prize)
- Second place (recognized with a certificate or plaque)
- Honorable mention (recognized with a certificate or plaque)
The award recipients will be invited to present their papers at a special session at the INFORMS Annual meeting.
- A submission must be in the domain of behavioral operations. To be considered, papers need to meet three primary criteria: (a) at least potentially allow human decision makers to deviate from hyper-rational behavior; (b) examine behavior within an operations context; (c) focus on a micro-level of analysis.
- As of the date of submission the paper must not be accepted for publication. Also, the paper must not have been submitted to a prior INFORMS BOM Best Working Paper Competition unless it has been substantially revised from prior submission(s).
- The format should be consistent with the manuscript preparation guidelines of Management Science or a similar journal if applicable.
- At least one of the authors of the paper must be a member of the INFORMS BOM Section. If unsure how to join, see http://www.informs.org/Community/BOM/Membership
- The authors of each submitted paper must agree to serve as “referees” for up to three other papers submitted for the Award.
- If in doubt on any of the eligibility criteria, please contact the Awards Committee Chair.
Award recipients’ selection procedure:
- Ultimately, the award recipients will be selected by a three-person Awards Committee, which consists of the Chair, Committee Member, and Honorary Committee Member.
- To inform its opinion, the Committee will seek up to three “referee” reports for each submission. The referees will be selected to minimize the conflict of interest with the authors, and will include other BOM section members and/or researchers in this domain. To the extent possible, anonymous referee comments will be returned for each submission.
- If a submission has a substantial conflict of interest with a member of the awards committee, the other committee members will primarily handle the entry, assign referees and evaluate the submission. Should the submission be recommended as a finalist by the remaining two committee members, the BOM Section President (or designee) will assist in evaluating and/or ranking the finalists.
The 2015 Awards Committee consists of:
- Yanchong Karen Zheng (Massachusetts Institute of Technology), Awards Committee Chair
- Brent Moritz (Penn State University), Committee Member and Previous Chair
- Ulrich Thonemann (University of Cologne), Honorary Committee Member
The new Awards Committee Chair will be elected at the INFORMS BOM Section business meeting, and the current Chair will serve as next year’s committee member.
Contact the Awards Committee Chair Yanchong Karen Zheng with any questions.
Submit your paper at http://goo.gl/YYBRsP, with the following information:
- Blinded PDF copy of your paper with all Appendices, Tables, Graphs, etc.
- Names of all authors, their email addresses and affiliations.
- Names of 5 referees with whom the authors have minimal conflict of interest, and exclude both the awards committee and BOM Section President.
Deadline for submissions is July 15, 2015
2014 Best Working Paper Award Winners
Results were announced on Nov. 9, 2014 during the INFORMS BOM Best Working Paper Presentation session at INFORMS Annual Meeting in San Francisco. Congratulations to all finalists.
- First Place: Designing Incentive Systems for Truthful Demand Information Sharing– Theory and Experiment by Lisa M. Scheele, Marco Slikker and Ulrich W. Thonemann
- Second Place: Capacity Investment in Supply Chains: Contracts and the Hold-up Problem by Andrew Davis and Stephen Leider
- Honorable Mention: Remanufacturing, Third-Party Competition, and Consumers' Perceived Value of New Products by Vishal Agrawal, Atalay Atasu and Koert van Ittersum
2013 Best Working Paper Award Winners
Results were announced on Oct. 6, 2013, 2014 during the INFORMS BOM Best Working Paper Presentation session at INFORMS Annual Meeting.
- First Place: Waiting Patiently: An Empirical Study of Queue Abandonment in an Emergency Department Robert Batt & Christian Terwiesch
- Runner Up: Trust, Trustworthiness and Information Sharing in Supply Chains Bridging China and the U.S. Ozalp Ozer, Yufei Ren, & Yanchong Zheng
- Honorable Mention: The Design of Experiential Services: Optimal Sequence and Duration of Service Activities Aparupa Das Gupta, Uday Karmarkar, & Guillaume Roels
Congratulations to all.