The mission of the Section on Data Mining is to promote and disseminate research and applications among professionals interested in theory, methodologies, and applications in data mining and knowledge discovery.
- INFORMS 2013 Data Mining Best Student Paper Finalists: The review process is finalized. The information on the four finalists and their papers is as follows:
- "Flow Modeling and Prediction of Heterogeneous Patients Using Semi-Markov Mixture Clustering" ,Chitta Ranjan, Kamran Paynabar and Jonathan E. Helm
- "An Inexact Homotopy Method for Nonconvex High Dimensional Sparse Learning Problems", Zhaoran Wang, Han Liu and Tong Zhang
- "An Interpretable Stroke Prediction Model using Rules and Bayesian Analysis", Benjamin Letham, Cynthia Rudin, Tyler H. McCormick, David Madigan
- "A Spatio-Temporal Mixture Model for Point Processes with Application to Ambulance Demand", Zhengyi Zhou, David S. Matteson, Dawn B. Woodard, Shane G. Henderson, and Athanasios C. Micheas
- The INFORMS Section on Data Mining solicits presentations for sponsored sessions at the INFORMS Annual Meeting in Minneapolis, Minnesota, October 6-9, 2013. If you are interested in presenting your work, please email Dr. MK Jeong (email@example.com) with a title and abstract (limit 500 words). The abstract submission deadline is May 15, 2013.
Data mining section Newsletter 2013 Preparation: If you have recently been promoted or had a new appointment, received a grant or an award, or had a PhD student that has just graduated, your colleagues will appreciate knowing about it. Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following info:
- Promotion: your new title and department name;
- Grant: title of proposal, amount funded, and sponsor;
- Award: award title, purpose, and sponsoring organization;
- PhD Graduate: student's name and dissertation topic
If your department is searching to fill a faculty position related to data mining, please send a one-paragraph announcement. If you or your company have any news of other events that might be of interest to data mining members (such as special issue announcements,news, events and internship opportunities), please prepare a short description. Please send the information to email@example.com by 1/1/2014 for the 2013 newsletter.