The Section on Public Sector OR (PSOR) is the INFORMS subdivision dedicated to, in the words of the INFORMS slogan, “doing good with good OR.”
The section furthers the use of operations research and management science in the following areas:
- Public Policy – improving governmental decision-making at the legislative and strategic levels.
- Public Programs – improving the management of government programs, services and operations.
- Public Safety – improving decision-making in support of homeland security, law enforcement, emergency preparedness, and disaster response.
- Public Service – supporting community development and public service organizations, and encouraging members of the ORMS professions to volunteer their know-how in public service causes.
- Public Needs – Improving logistics and other national and international programs to address humanitarian needs.
The section carries out its mission by sponsoring presentations at INFORMS national meetings and providing publicity for ORMS conducted in the public and civic spheres.